I was watching the movie PK a few days ago and was struck by the
similarities to the movie Oh My God. Even though PK had the fresh view point of
an alien, the movie seemed a bit repetitive and my interest waned. However the
interest of several Hindu religious groups and the BJP does not have seemed to
waned yet. The moment I google “Protests over PK”, I get a whole google page of
relevant results. But when I do the same for Oh My God, there are just two
posts that are relevant to my query and the others just count the similarities
to PK. There is much to debate about these discrepancies. Where were these protestors
when OMG released? It raised the same questions that PK raises today. Have we
reached such level of un-civilization that the religion of the actor or his
political alliance dictates the intensity of protest? No wonder that despite
being the largest democracy in the world we still suffer from religious
strifes. I don’t think that PK tried to single out any particular religion. In
fact in PK, the alien was asking help from God and believed that such an entity
existed. OMG was completely rebellious and refused to believe in God. I guess
they redeemed themselves by Akshay Kumar’s act in the end. I am no atheist
myself. But I agree with the basic philosophy of the movies. It is fine to
believe in God. But there are multiple unnecessary rituals created by unknown
people that lead to wastage of resources. We need to listen carefully to what
such movies advocate and try to retrospect and wonder whether our faith
recommends our actions or not. If you are so faithful to God, try and
understand what God wants of you. I guess we need a revolution like the Aam
Aadmi party in our religious sphere as well, that could help people decipher
their religious beliefs.
No comments:
Post a Comment